The nursing profession has proven to become one of the most significant roles that govern the success of the medical world. It is a profession that demands physically and mentally fit candidates because the scope is extremely wide. Along with being mentally strong, nurses must be on their feet day after day to offer constant support to patients. If you are interested in becoming a nurse then it is necessary that you carry out comprehensive research to become acquainted with its unlimited opportunities. All your focus should be on getting the best possible nursing education for a decent professional life. If nursing is your true calling then there is no better place than Canada to fulfil and realize this dream. Nursing courses in Canada are the best if you are planning to become a global nurse. Since there are several nursing colleges in Canada, you have to be careful while selecting the right college. In this blog, we will explain how to do that, but before that let us first gain a good understanding of why you should choose Canada for nursing.
Why Canada for Nursing?
Canada offers countless opportunities for nurses to become successful. It is a place that constantly strives to provide a wide range of ways for ensuring that the citizens get maximum support in achieving their potential. The nursing job opportunities in Canada are at an all-time high because of the aging population in Canada and the COVID-19 pandemic. According to the Canadian Nurses Association, it is expected that Canada will be short of over 60,000 nurses by the year 2022. Other than this, nurses are also paid very well. With so many good universities and colleges all over the world, Canada emerges as the top choice because of many reasons. Other than the fact that Canada is ranked as the third-best country to study internationally, it also offers many benefits to international students. Upon successful completion of the nursing courses, the professionals can choose to stay in Canada and work for a bright future. Some of the most prominent reasons for choosing nursing in Canada are:
- Globally Recognized Education and Professional Training: Canada is known as the best country that offers high-quality nursing education and professional training. In addition to the fact it offers a globally recognized degree, the country also provides ample real-world expertise to its students.
A degree in nursing empowers the students to get clinical experience which further boosts their job versatility and opens the door for a wide range of professional positions.
- Commendable Job Prospects: The profession of nursing in Canada has wide prospects in terms of professional role and scope of work. There are several nursing specialties that can be chosen based on the career goals of an individual. In addition, based on the types of nursing fields, the salary and employment options can vary too.
After completing the nursing courses in Canada, the international nurses are eligible to get a starting salary of $103K per year. There is an annual increment in this payroll. In addition, another benefit is the health coverage offered in the country which comes in after three months of living in this country. Multiple hospitals and healthcare institutions also offer child care to the children of nurses who work for odd hours.
- Security: The nursing profession is secured by unions in Canada that ensure job stability and other benefits for the nurses. Further, many organizations offer assistance, liability protection, and a roof on heads as well.
After they are employed, nursing professionals become eligible for pension contributions. This is an excellent way to invest in a secure future that promises many benefits. Now that we have gained a clear understanding of why Canada is a preferred destination for nurses, let’s see how to choose the right nursing colleges in Canada.
- Choose Your Specialization: There are many different types of nursing practices to choose from. Before you apply to the best nursing colleges in Canada, you must know about all of these specializations and choose which one you want to pursue. Decide if you want to become a Palliative Care Nurse, Gerontology Nurse, Community Mental Health Nurse, etc.
After you choose the best suitable specialization, it is time to list down the colleges that offer the best education in nursing practices of your interest. This step is important because it decides the course of your future, the knowledge that you acquire, and the skills that you polish. While choosing your favourite specialization, it is also important that you give due importance to your personal interests and the future professional scope in that practice. Take your time to complete your research and take your decision by weighing all the pros and cons. This way, you will be able to choose the best option for completing your nursing education.
- Length of Nursing Program: When you are choosing the best out of different nursing colleges in Canada, it is important to appreciate your time frame and career goals while looking at the program. You must know if you want to start practicing right after earning the degree or not. This is important because not all nursing programs are similar in terms of duration.
It is possible that your timeline will look somewhat different in case you are already a nursing professional who wishes to pursue an advanced degree. On the basis of your education, and work experience, choose an appropriate nursing course that strengthens your credentials even more.
- Clinical Hours: You will have to complete clinical hours regardless of which kind of degree you might earn. The total number of clinical hours can vary for different nursing courses in Canada. Some nursing colleges might provide evening clinical rotation if the students have to work in the day while simultaneously completing a nursing course.
- Location of Nursing College: The nursing college that you choose plays a big part in your professional development; hence, it is important to consider its location. Irrespective of the fact if you wish to stay on the campus or even commute to the college, location is a significant detail.
If you decide to commute then you will need to consider the distance from your home, or a job if you plan to do one. Remember to evaluate the driving time and other things such as parking space or the traffic that you will encounter while reaching a nursing school. On the other hand, if you will be living on the campus then you must consider different things such as neighborhood, town, etc. For so many students, the surrounding area is an important part of completing a degree. Hence, ensure that you choose the college that you enjoy attending.
- Job Opportunities: Many nursing students work while they are attending a nursing college in Canada. In case you don’t have a job already but you have plans to get one, it is beneficial to look at all other opportunities that are available. Striving to find the job prospects yourself along with making the most out of the ones offered by nursing college will help in the long run.
Some nursing colleges provide an on-campus job or a placement, but these spots might also be limited to students who have financial aid already. Always look at the nearby area to see if there are nursing job opportunities. Being a nursing student who has bright aspirations, you should look out for surrounding hospitals, nursing homes, and other medical facilities. A significant thing to consider here is that in case your college has any career placement or a job connection. There are some colleges that are known for having close relationships with the local healthcare institutions for helping students line up jobs after graduating successfully. In other cases, some colleges might also get job listings that nursing graduates are eligible to apply for.
- Tuition Costs: Multiple students have this factor on their minds before they evaluate different nursing courses in Canada. An important thing to understand here is that the cost of a nursing program differs based on the type of program, location of a nursing college, the college, and more.
While considering the overall tuition cost of the nursing programs, you must also weigh any support that you can receive, all that you can personally afford, and in case you are taking a loan then the debt that you will be taking on.
With benefits such as a robust and universal healthcare system, Canada is considered a prime location for nursing professionals. The nurses who want to become global healthcare professionals must choose Canada to get acknowledged with an internationally recognized degree. The points that are mentioned above will prove to be substantial while choosing the right nursing college in Canada for a variety of students. So if you are a nursing student who aspires to move abroad in search of a career then remember to keep the above-mentioned points in mind.